Monday, December 27, 2010

Mondays and Art

Today I heard a brief excerpt on NPR discussing the fact that children today have little appreciation for classical art here in the USA and that the museums are concerned that by the time they grow up many museums will have to resort to becoming storage facilities due to lack of funds.  Although I beg to differ, knowing many fine art appreciators, young and old alike, I do find at times the incredible urge to share beauty, such that can be found in the classical artists, with others.  August Renoir has always been one our family's favorite artists.  From the time I was little I remember staring at a beautiful print my Mum had of Renoir's painting of two young girls playing the piano.  His impressionistic style seemed to capture realistic touches that other artists of his genre missed in an effort to inculcate light into their works.  I absolutely love the painting which I've posted as background today. It is such a gentle painting yet so full of life.  I thank my parents for the many joys they've inculcated in us children, especially their love of art!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Its funny because I was just thinking of this at work today. We were discussing where our ideal vacation would be, and I said:"Somewhere with lots of museums that I can wander," which brought raised eyebrows from those around me. It made me sad and proud at the same moment. I can't say I have a favorite painter yet, although Gustave Caillebotte stopped me dead in the Musee d'Orsay with Floor Strippers and Oarsmen, but Greek sculpture is a constant draw for me. I find the human body so beautiful and the way the human form was captured with all of its delicacy in marble astounds me. Also the way they included every small detail and imperfection in the subject makes an imposing statue mortal.

Meg said...

I will have to check out his work as well.... Please everyone share your favorite artists :)