Friday, January 28, 2011

IN DUBLIN'S FAIR CITY


If you get a chance to visit Ireland be sure to have this song memorized before you go....as you'll hear it guaranteed...and of course in Ireland it is a necessity to sing along!  I'll never forget the little elderly gentleman turning to me and asking what I would sing and when I told him I didn't sing he simply stated, "Ter's no such ting as a person who can't sing. Ye either doo ore ye down't."

Here's some History on Molly Malone from Wikipedia:

The song tells the fictional tale of a beautiful fishmonger who plied her trade on the streets of Dublin, but who died young, of a fever. The name "Molly" originated as a familiar version of the names Mary and Margaret. While many such "Molly" Malones were born in Dublin over the centuries, no evidence connects any of them to the events in the song.[1][2] Nevertheless, in 1988 the Dublin Millennium Commission endorsed claims concerning a Molly Malone who died on 13 June 1699, and proclaimed 13 June to be "Molly Malone day".[1]
 
This song always brings a tear to my eyes though thinking of our dear little Abigail and her lovely rendition of this song which she spent loads of time trying to teach me.  Love you sweet girl give all your family a huge squeeze for me!






No comments: